BORDEAUX'S WHITES VARIETIES
Bordeaux makes two styles of white wines. They can be
Although white grapes are grown throughout Bordeaux, top wines tend to come from the Graves area.
Bordeaux has three traditional white varieties
Sauvignon Blanc and Sémillon are the most important grapes. And they are usually blended together.
Sauvignon Blanc, with its crisp acidity, adds freshness and structure to the blend. More recently, Sauvignon Blanc is made on it's own, or with smaller amounts of Sémillon.
Sémillon is soft and round, with a rich body and high alcohol. It adds...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.
Passionate about wine? Wine Spectator magazine is looking for an enthusiastic copy editor in the New York office.