Course: Understanding Wine
AVA boundaries can be based on criteria such as climate, soil and elevation. As these distinctions are identified, new AVAs are still being created. They are regulated by the Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB), the federal agency that governs the U.S. alcohol and tobacco industries.
Many of California's smaller AVAs are located within larger AVAs such as the North Coast and the Central Coast. Winemakers often use the smallest AVA they can,...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.