Course: Understanding Wine
Class 6: Traveling the Old World
sip: taste, body, flavor
Taste and Body
- Sip and swish your Rioja Reserva, assessing both taste and body in a single step.
- Swallow or spit, and mark your worksheet.
- Repeat with the Chianti Classico.
- How do the wines compare?
- The Rioja Reserva is frequently lower in acidity than the Chianti, with smoother tannins, a medium body and a mouthfeel that may be "gentler" than the Chiantis.
- The Chianti Classico probably has more acidity and rougher tannins than the Rioja, but may be similar in body or weight. Its mouthfeel may be more "lively" than the Riojas.
- Sip, swish and spit the Rioja Reserva and identify its flavors; note your worksheet.
- Repeat the process with the Chianti Classico.
Ready to enroll? First, you must register for a membership to WineSpectator.com. Your membership benefits include:
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
Log In If You're Already a WineSpectator.com Member
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.