Course: Understanding Wine
swallowing vs. spitting
By the time you complete the tasting in Module 3, you will have taken about two dozen sips of wine. Even taking the tiniest of sips, you may consume too much wine to maintain a clear head.
There are a number of ways to mitigate the effects of alcohol; eating food is one example.
But, during a wine tasting, it's best to avoid foods that would interfere with the wines' flavors. We recommend that you use a spit cup. An opaque plastic or paper cup works just fine or, if you happen to have one, use a spittoon.
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.
Passionate about wine? WineSpectator.com seeks a highly motivated digital journalist for an assistant editor position in its New York editorial department.