The main town in the commune is Pauillac.
Gravel is the name of the game in Pauillac. Its 2,000 acres of vines are planted on very deep gravel over clay and limestone.
Pauillac is distinct among the Haut-Médoc appellations because it actually has some rolling elevation (not quite hills). Many of the vines are planted on plateaus in the northern and the southern sections of the AC.
The gravel soils and the slight elevation make for outstanding drainage of both water and cold air, increasing vineyard temperatures.
The Pauillac AC is restricted to red wines. White wines grown...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.