Class 3: International Varieties
sinff: aroma intensity, indentification
- Swirl your Pinot Noir, this time to release its aromas, and sniff.
- Note on your Tasting Worksheet whether the aromas are faint, medium or powerful.
- Repeat with the Merlot.
- Swirl, sniff and begin identifying the Pinor Noir's aromas.
- Look for strawberry, raspberry, red cherry, earth and mushroom - the aromas most commonly associated with Pinot Noir (but use your Tasting Worksheet as a guide to many more possible aromas).
- When you identify an aroma, circle it on the worksheet.
- If you can't specifically name an aroma, it's fine to identify it by its general family (i.e., "Tree fruit" rather than "cherry").
- Limit yourself to three or four sniffs.
- Swirl, sniff and begin identifying the Merlot's aromas.
- Like Pinot Noir, Merlot has a set of...
Ready to enroll?
First, you must register for a membership to WineSpectator.com. Your membership benefits include:
- FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
- Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
- FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
- E-newsletters with advance ratings
- Editors’ blogs
- Food and wine matching tool
- And much more
Log In If You're Already a WineSpectator.com Member
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.