Course: Understanding Wine
flavor vs. taste
Recall that flavors are scents perceived via your mouth and retronasal passages while tastes are perceived by your tongue. To experience the distinction between flavor and taste, try this experiment with a jellybean or a raisin.
The Jelly Bean Experiment
Pinching your nose closed, pop a jellybean or a couple raisins in your mouth and chew.
Now unblock your nose and continue chewing.
When your nose is pinched...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.
Passionate about wine? Wine Spectator magazine is looking for an enthusiastic copy editor in the New York office.