THE BORDEAUX MARKETPLACE
In Bordeaux itself, the wine industry has three tiers
Futures -- called en primeur in France -- reach the world through a series of phases.
It all begins with the châteaus, mainly the first-growth producers and a handful of other highly regarded estates, who effectively set the market price for a given year.
After courtiers, or brokers, take a small percentage, the right to sell the futures is passed on to the négociants, or shippers. With very few exceptions, no one...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.