VITICULTURE AND VINICULTURE
Bordeaux's production of red wine follows one basic model, with many variations:
Production normally begins in late September or early October, during the harvest. The wines are fermented and macerated for anywhere from 10 to 30 days, depending on the quality of the grapes.
The new wines are then aged in oak barrels for 12 to 24 months; the more tannic and richer the wines, the longer they usually spend in...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.
Passionate about wine? Wine Spectator magazine is looking for an enthusiastic copy editor in the New York office.