Course: Understanding Wine
Toward the valley, the temperature heats up; as the altitude increases, it cools down.
Although vineyard acreage is expanding and new varieties are planted, Sierra Foothills is best known for growing heat-loving Zinfandel.
Old Zinfandel vines, some dating back to the days of the California gold rush, yield ripe, concentrated grapes that make heavy, Port-like wines in Amador County. Zin can be slightly lighter in Calaveras County and more rustic in El Dorado County.
When you are ready to proceed to the tasting, click Module 6 on the navigation bar at the top of this page.
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.