Course: Understanding Wine
napa valley: key sub regions
Napa Valley contains a number of key AVAs. All are recognized for their Cabernet Sauvignons.
Along the Valley Floor
Traveling up the middle of the valley on Highway 29, the first three Napa Valley AVAs encountered are Yountville, Oakville and Rutherford.
Many famous wineries such as Beaulieu, Caymus, Mondavi, Niebaum-Coppola and Opus One are located here.
This area is at the southern end of the valley floor and is directly in the path of the chilly breezes coming off the San Pablo Bay.
Just barely warm enough to ripen Cabernet, Yountville is warm enough to yield full-bodied Chardonnays.
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.