Course: Understanding Wine
california's major varieties, continued
The wines made from Napa Valley fruit are famous thanks to their intense flavors, firm tannins and ability to age.
Less well-known but also very high in quality are Cabs from Sonoma County; sometimes leaner and less intensely flavored, they can be fairly complex. The warmth of Paso Robles in the Central Coast encourages riper, earlier-drinking wines.
California Cabernet Sauvignons are frequently aged in oak, as are their models in Bordeaux.
Although they may be varietally labeled, many are blended with traditional Bordeaux varieties such as Merlot and Cabernet Franc. Some wineries indicate that a wine is a traditional Bordeaux blend by using the...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.