Course: Understanding Wine
Rioja's best wines are red blends based on Tempranillo, though Garnacha may also be an important component.
Reds from Ribera del Duero are made primarily of Tempranillo and rank among Spain's best wines for their richness and intense flavors.
In the warm low-lying areas of Penedès, vintners produce reds from Garnacha and Monastrell, while in the foothills cava, or sparkling wine, is made. At even higher elevations, the cooler hillside vineyards yield an array of early-ripening international varieties, including Pinot Noir and Riesling.
The variety is often indicated on the...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.