Class 5: Old World Model: France
see: clarity, color, intensity, legs
- Examine the wines for clarity and mark your Tasting Worksheet.
- Examine their color and note your worksheet.
- Both wines are typically purple to ruby red in color.
- Examine the intensity of the wines and mark your worksheet.
- Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot are relatively dark grapes, and as a result, a Bordeaux's intensity is usually medium to dark; Grenache is not as dark as Cabernet and Merlot, so the intensity of a Côtes du Rhône is usually medium.
- Swirl each wine, examine its legs and mark your worksheet.
Ready to enroll?
First, you must register for a membership to WineSpectator.com. Your membership benefits include:
- FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
- Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
- FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
- E-newsletters with advance ratings
- Editors’ blogs
- Food and wine matching tool
- And much more
Log In If You're Already a WineSpectator.com Member
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.