Course: Understanding Wine
THE LOIRE VALLEY: Key Areas, Key Wines
The villages of Sancerre and Pouilly-Fumé in central France face each other on the chalky hills at the eastern edge of the Loire Valley's main growing region. Though Sancerre also produces some light reds and rosés from Pinot Noir, the two villages specialize in white wines made from Sauvignon Blanc. In general, Sancerre is lighter-bodied, with herb and mineral aromas and flavors, while Pouilly-Fumé tends to be fuller-bodied and fruitier, but it's not always easy to tell them apart. (Note that Pouilly-Fumé is different from Pouilly-Fuissé,...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.