Body is the sensation within the mouth of weight and thickness. The components in wine that contribute to body include alcohol, extract, sugar and tannin.
TASTING FOR BODY
- Take a sip and feel its weight and thickness as you swish it around your mouth, but don't swallow or spit.
- Would you describe the wine's body as light? Medium? Full?
- Swallow your sip and pay attention to the sensations in the back of your throat. Do you feel any "heat" from alcohol?
- Note the Beaujolais' body on your Worksheet.
- Swirl the Cabernet. What do its legs indicate about body and alcohol level?
- Sip and swish the wine, feeling its weight and thickness as you do; don't swallow or spit.
- Is it light-bodied? Medium? Full-bodied?