TERROIR AND PRODUCER
Bordeaux is typically defined by its complex appellation system, which characterizes wines based on their specific districts of origin.
In addition to understanding the regions, knowing the best producers is key to navigating Bordeaux. Top producers are highlighted in classes 2 and 3.
For example, the textbooks describe wines from the Left Bank appellation of Margaux as elegant, supple and complex.
This is sometimes true and sometimes not, depending on the quality of the vintage and the skill of the producer.
In addition to Château Margaux, châteaus Palmer, Brane-Cantenac and Rauszan-Ségla come to mind as top producers from the Margaux appellation.
The Bordeaux region has thousands of wine estates.
According to figures...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.