INTRODUCTION: CLASS 1
Bordeaux makes some of the best red wines in the world. It's fun to argue the point since Burgundies can be more extravagant and California Cabernets more opulent. But in the end most wine lovers agree that Bordeaux reds excel at a fundamental measure of quality: longevity.
Great Bordeaux are the longest-lived of all red wines and with maturity develop their extraordinary character and elegance. (And great Sauternes, also produced in Bordeaux, live as long as any of the world's great whites.)
Three centuries ago, winemakers in Bordeaux created the basic methods to make wine that would improve with age, and the whole world still follows their model. The ideal is a wine of great...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.