Course: Understanding Wine
wine in the united states
Wine is made in nearly every state in this country. In most states, such as New Mexico and Virginia, it is made in tiny wineries that serve primarily local markets. The most significant "small producer" is New York.
The most significant "large producers" besides California are Oregon and Washington. They are the only two states making fine wine in quantities large enough to be available nationally and internationally.
This module covers Oregon and Washington on the west coast as well as New York on the east coast.
The geographic and climatic conditions that define California's coastal winegrowing regions also affect Oregon and Washington; the Pacific's chilly influence is strong in...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.