Course: Understanding Wine
old world: overview
Europe: The Source
Europe is the source of wine as we know it.
Winegrowers in Europe have had centuries to figure out which grape varieties grow best in their individual regions, and certain varieties are closely associated with specific regions.
European wine labels reflect this relationship, usually referring to the wine's place of origin - country, region, subregion, and even specific vineyard - rather than the grape variety.
The French call this combination of grape, climate,...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.
Passionate about wine? WineSpectator.com seeks a highly motivated digital journalist for an assistant editor position in its New York editorial department.