Course: Sensory Evaluation
WHY TALK ABOUT WINE?
For most of its 6000-year history, wine's reason for being was straightforward. Wine was basically preserved fruit. It provided some of the calories our ancestors needed to survive through the winter. And the alcohol content didn't hurt; those winters were pretty long and dark.
Besides, many wines tasted awful. Unless you lived in ancient Rome and had an amphora of the good stuff, there was no need to talk about the wine. In fact, the less talk about it, the better.
Fast-forward to the 21st century. Supermarket and wine store shelves are lined with beautifully labeled bottles from around the world. Wine is no longer a mean little beverage to be choked...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.