Course: Sensory Evaluation
Whenever you find yourself with a glass of wine in your hand, you have a choice.
You might choose to simply enjoy the wine without paying much attention to it.
Or you might think to yourself "yum." Or maybe "yuck." That's a simple hedonic response.
The setting for these two scenarios is usually dinner with friends who are considerably less interested in wine (may they be forgiven) than are we.
Alternatively, you might be at a walk-around tasting with equally enthusiastic friends. This means you get to dump the previous wine out of your glass and try the new one. Everyone is quiet for maybe 2 seconds before someone says "rich" or "big tannins"...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.
Passionate about wine? Wine Spectator magazine is looking for an enthusiastic copy editor in the New York office.