SUPER TUSCAN FOCUS
The term "super Tuscan" came into vogue during the late 1980s as a handful of reds from the region gained international attention.
These wines were a complete departure from Tuscany's traditional wines for two main reasons. They were made using
Ultimately, they were named "super" Tuscans for their superior quality.
Because these wines relied on grape varieties and winemaking techniques that were not allowed by the official classifications, they were sold as vini da tavola, or table wines. For a while, consumers could find...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.
Passionate about wine? Wine Spectator magazine is looking for an enthusiastic copy editor in the New York office.