Course: California Cabernet
DIVERSITY IN A SINGLE VALLEY
Some areas range from cool to warm, as in Sonoma Valley.
Sonoma County's oldest winegrowing area is geographically separated from the rest of the county. Sonoma Valley is farther to the southeast, stretching from Kenwood south to Carneros. And it includes the Sonoma side of the Carneros AVA.
Called "Valley of the Moon" by native Americans, Sonoma Valley contours along the Mayacamas Mountains. Like Napa Valley, which is just over the ridge to the east, Sonoma Valley has a narrow north-south shape, though it is much smaller.
Buena Vista and the old Bundschu winery (now Gundlach...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.