california's major varieties
The Old World concept of terroir -- the interaction of climate, soil, geography and variety -- is gaining ground as specific characteristics are becoming associated with individual varieties grown in specific appellations.
The international varieties comprise the majority of California's production, along with Zinfandel and a number of regionally important varieties. Each of the main varieties has adapted to various regions in California, and distinctive wine styles have emerged.
Originally planted in warmer areas, Chardonnay is...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.