Course: ABCs of Wine Tasting
setting the table
Stemware should be clean, odor-free and free of soap residue. A trace of soap can make a good wine taste terrible.
The glass itself should be clear and colorless so you can evaluate the wine's color.
For still wines, the stemware should be tulip-shaped, with a bowl that's wider than the rim. A narrower rim concentrates the aromas in the glass so you can smell them...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.