Course: Understanding Wine
in the wine store
Since you rarely get to taste a wine before you take it home, buying wine can be intimidating. But conscientious wine merchants can very helpful to both novice and experienced wine consumers. They offer fair prices, good selections and, most importantly, helpful service.
Recommendations and Resources
Recommendations can come from sales personnel who have tasted many of the wines on the shelves or from "shelf-talkers," informational tags such as those provided by Wine Spectator or by the wineries themselves.
In addition, many retailers hold regular tastings, pouring samples of wines currently for sale, allowing you to try wines before buying.
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.
Passionate about wine? Wine Spectator magazine is looking for an enthusiastic copy editor in the New York office.