Course: Understanding Wine
Each step in grapegrowing and winemaking shapes the character and the quality of the wine, from its initial aroma to the last lingering flavors. As a knowledge of cooking terms such as "charcoal grilled" or "seasoned with lemongrass" helps with an entree choice at a restaurant, an understanding of grapegrowing and winemaking terms provides clues about the wine's character and quality.
Clues about the wine inside the bottle are often provided on wine labels themselves. Some mention the grape variety, and many use grapegrowing and winemaking terms, such as "barrel fermented," "malolactic fermentation," and "unfiltered."
Introduction (1 page ~ 2 minutes)
1. Winegrowing (2 pages ~ 7 minutes)
2. Winemaking (4 pages ~ 15 minutes)
3. Sparkling Wine (1 page ~...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.