Course: Understanding Wine
california's major varieties
The Old World concept of terroir -- the interaction of climate, soil, geography and variety -- is gaining ground as specific characteristics are becoming associated with individual varieties grown in specific appellations.
The international varieties comprise the majority of California's production, along with Zinfandel and a number of regionally important varieties. Each of the main varieties has adapted to various regions in California, and distinctive wine styles have emerged.
Originally planted in warmer areas, Chardonnay is...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.
Passionate about wine? Wine Spectator magazine is looking for an enthusiastic copy editor in the New York office.