Course: Understanding Wine
Châteaus and Blended Wines
Bordeaux is known primarily for the complex and ageworthy reds made by leading wineries such as:
In Bordeaux, the wineries are called "châteaus." Each château grows a mix of grape varieties, some that ripen early and others that ripen later, to ensure a decent wine even in difficult vintages.
Over time, each château has developed its own distinctive blend, yet the influence of the local terroir means that the wines of each district have more in common with one another than with wines made elsewhere.
Bordeaux straddles the Gironde estuary and the Dordogne and Garonne rivers in southwestern France.
Moderating breezes from the Atlantic protect the...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.