Course: Understanding Wine
Although the three wines in this module are made from different grape varieties, Gewürztraminer, Muscat, and Viognier are similar in that they are all white and they are each very aromatic; their aromas seem to jump from the glass. They can also make sweet wines, but the dry styles are the focus here.
ORIGINS OF GEWüRZTRAMINER
Located in northeastern France next to Germany, Alsace produces the model of this varietal, although the grape itself probably originated in Germany.
It is one of several white varieties planted on the eastern slopes of the Vosges Mountains, which protect the vineyards from rain and make this cool area one of the driest and sunniest in France. The early-ripening Gewürztraminer...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.