Course: Understanding Wine
The previous class looked at the seven most popular varieties of Vitis vinifera. In addition to these "international varieties," there are a number of important grape varieties that have found niches in their respective regions. As interest in these regional grapes increases, many are slowly establishing new frontiers in growing regions around the world.
When the vine is carefully matched to the growing area and the wine is well made, these varieties can make high-quality wines offering intriguing flavors and distinctive characters. Seeking out and trying these wines will broaden your understanding of varieties and provide you with new and exciting taste experiences.
Some of the more important regional varieties include the following:
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.