Do you have a question for Dr. Vinny? Ask it here...
Dear Dr. Vinny,
I recently bought a wine that I have never had before, a Toro from Spain. I noticed that there was mold on the outside of the cork, and the cork was incredibly difficult to remove (it actually crumbled after I got it out of the neck). I did not notice any mold inside the bottle, and the wine did not taste moldy or bad. Should I have brought the bottle back? Or is that normal?
—Ray P., Chicago
Mold happens. Wine is often stored in damp, dark, humid conditions, so a bit of moisture trapped under a capsule can result in mold. It's not that unusual, and usually the wine is unaffected. Don't confuse a bit of harmless mold on a cork with trichloroanisole, or TCA, which can impart a moldy, wet-cement character to a wine. TCA happens at the parts-per-trillion level, and is not visible when it's present (unless you have superhero vision and could see a few grains of sand in an Olympic-size swimming pool).
You didn't mention if the wine was old or not. Old corks sometimes get a little crumbly, just like old people. That's why we wine geeks always suggest you store wine on its side—to keep the cork moist, so it doesn't dry out.
Learn from the experts and get the most out of each sip. Take one of our online courses or take them all—from the ABCs of Tasting to in-depth seminars on Food Pairing, California Cabernet, Bordeaux, Tuscany, Sensory Evaluation and more.