Do you have a question for Dr. Vinny? Ask it here...
Dear Dr. Vinny,
I recently opened a bottle of red wine that seemed to have a bit of “sparkle” to it. It wasn’t fizzy like Champagne, but one could feel the bite of carbon dioxide on the tongue. Is this a badly made wine, is it too young, or what?
—Fernando G., Waterville, Maine
When a wine seems fizzy or spritzy (and it’s not supposed to be that way, like a sparkling Shiraz would be), it’s usually considered a flaw. Either some carbon dioxide was trapped inside when the wine was bottled, or the wine started to re-ferment while in the bottle, and the bubbles are a byproduct. A little fizz won’t make you sick, but I find it unpleasant, and it usually comes with a yeasty stink.
Learn from the experts and get the most out of each sip. Take one of our online courses or take them all—from the ABCs of Tasting to in-depth seminars on Food Pairing, California Cabernet, Bordeaux, Tuscany, Sensory Evaluation and more.