As I explained in my last blog, I'm giving away a ticket to Wine Spectator's Grand Tour in Las Vegas that I can't use due to our vineyard-planting schedule. But … I'm going to make you work for it.
Eric Glomski, owner of Page Spring Cellars and my partner in Arizona Stronghold Vineyards, and I have come up with a set of six questions about Arizona's wine industry and wine regions in general, and our properties: Page Springs, Arizona Stronghold and Merkin Vineyards. And just 'cause it's Vegas, we threw in an extra question to make it a lucky seven.
First one to get all the questions right—and the final decision is at my discretion—gets the ticket.
Just post your answers below in the blog comments section--and make sure your WineSpectator.com account has your current e-mail address on file so we can contact the winner.
1. Yes, Arizona's wine industry is small, but it's growing swiftly! How many bonded wineries are there in Arizona?
2. There is much speculation about our terroir here in Arizona—most people envision Phoenix when they hear about our vineyards. Not the case. We are nowhere near Phoenix. Where are two of Eric's or my sites? Include ballpark elevations (give or take 300 feet) at which we have planted vines.
3. Never mind elevation, what is the soil profile in one of our vineyards?
4. Which producing winegrape vineyard in Arizona is the largest in terms of acreage?
5. Recently, high-altitude vineyards have gotten more attention from vintners and researchers. How might higher elevation potentially affect wine quality?
6. What are the chances of an Arizona Pinot Noir? Explain your answer, soldier.
7. What is the airspeed velocity of an Unladen Swallow?
Emily Jones — April 23, 2008 12:07pm ET
Alex Heller — Athens, GA — April 23, 2008 12:22pm ET
Joe Husar — April 23, 2008 12:57pm ET
Scott Stewart — solana beach, ca — April 23, 2008 1:35pm ET
Scott Stewart — solana beach, ca — April 23, 2008 1:39pm ET
Karl Mark — Geneva, IL. — April 23, 2008 2:51pm ET
Chad Bowman — Manhattan, KS — April 23, 2008 2:56pm ET
Laura Gellman — Charlotte, NC/USA — April 23, 2008 2:57pm ET
David Nerland — Scottsdale — April 23, 2008 2:58pm ET
Chad Bowman — Manhattan, KS — April 23, 2008 3:02pm ET
Andrew J Walter — Sacramento,CA — April 23, 2008 4:55pm ET
Dana Nigro — New York, NY — April 23, 2008 5:25pm ET
Robert Kirkwood — Laramie,Wyoming — April 23, 2008 5:32pm ET
Robert Kirkwood — Laramie,Wyoming — April 23, 2008 8:54pm ET
David Blakeley — New Jersey — April 25, 2008 4:00pm ET
Maynard James Keenan — page Springs, az — April 25, 2008 8:07pm ET
Jason Thompson — Foster City, CA — April 29, 2008 4:05pm ET
Robert O Bartolini — Scottsdale, Az — May 14, 2008 4:07pm ET
Robert Kirkwood — Laramie,Wyoming — May 15, 2008 12:31pm ET
Sips & Tips | Wine & Healthy Living
Video Theater | Collecting & Auctions