Ugh! Valentine’s Day

Posted: Feb 14, 2007 11:27am ET

I am in a rotten mood. Today is Valentine’s Day and I hate it. I have loathed this commercial celebration for as long as I can remember. Maybe it was because Heidi Hendrickson in the sixth grade didn’t accept my Valentine’s message. Who knows?

But for me it just means that you overpay in restaurants for food and wine. Nothing is worse than special Valentine’s Day menus, except for perhaps special New Year’s Eve menus. But that's another topic ...

I say BAH HUMBUG to all this! I am not drinking anything even close to rosé Champagne or anything else pink. I am going to drink the darkest, baddest red I can find. If my flight is cancelled due to the snow in New York, I'll call some biker friends in Jersey to hang and drink in protest. Where's a bottle of of Sine Qua Non or Turley Zinfandel when I need it?!

Besides, I think everyday is Valentine’s Day when I am with my girlfriend, or my daughter. Why pay extra for it today?

Oops. Humbug.

Bill Norrish
Groton, MA —  February 14, 2007 12:53pm ET
I agree. Valentine's Day and New Years Eve are both amateur nights. I will use Valentine's day as an excuse to open something nice at home tonight. With the weather here in the NE, a real teeth stainer is in order.
Totv
La Quinta, CA —  February 14, 2007 2:14pm ET
Bravo James! I agree. It is what I like to call "The Hallmark" holiday. Just give me a bottle of a huge Napa Cab, and I'm happy. My wife, too! Dustin.
Maryann Worobiec
Napa, CA —  February 14, 2007 2:35pm ET
Hear hear, James! In the Napa office of Wine Spectator, Jenna and I are wearing black in protest. (Jeannine is just wearing black to support us). We'll raise a glass of inky dark wine to you later on.
Paul Anderson
Longview, TX —  February 14, 2007 3:28pm ET
I've tried your approach James but I'm stuck. It always causes me more trouble to buck the holiday than to capitulate and buy something nice for my sweetie. At leaset I managed to avoide the overpriced restaurant mealHowever, it is always a good night to drink one of my favorite wines and I will do that tonight for sure 2003 Foxen Syrah Williams-Dore Vineyard.
Bob Golbahar
Los Angeles —  February 14, 2007 3:42pm ET
James,It's all about business, I heard on the radio today, Valentine's day generates.... "17 Billion" in sales! WOW! Have a glass of red wine you fell better.
 —  February 14, 2007 4:03pm ET
Thanks Bob. I will take your advice...
Trey Rolofson
Overland Park, KS —  February 14, 2007 4:24pm ET
A new tradition it is.........I have put down that bottle of Pinot and grabbed a teeth stainer. PS- I heard through the grapevine that Heidi is bartending at a biker bar in Jersey....
Beirne Brown
FLORIDA —  February 14, 2007 4:34pm ET
Popped a bottle of 1997 KJ Stature last night, which was OUR Valentine's celebration since I'm working tonight. Awesome, still lots going on in the bottle: dark red, no brick edges.Great with marinated grilled veal chop!
Lisa Ruyter
Vienna Austria —  February 14, 2007 5:21pm ET
Happy Valentine's Day anyway James. I like red better than pink too. I hope you made it out ok.
Tim Sylvester
Santa Monica, CA —  February 14, 2007 5:31pm ET
James--Lighten up, commercialized or not, Valentine's Day helps me re-focus on my love and to share a quiet evening with her. Over the last few years we've chatted with neighboring couples, enjoyed lovely food and fine wine and really have enojyed our relaxing time away from the kids. As Bob G says, have a glass or two of dark red juice and chill.
Steven Balavender
Tampa, Fl —  February 14, 2007 5:57pm ET
WOW!!!!!! The fact that you can even remember Heidi Hendrickson in the sixth grade and still hold a grudge says volumes.
Bob Golbahar
Los Angeles —  February 14, 2007 7:21pm ET
James, I googled "Heidi Hendrickson" and she now lives in Nevada and has changed her name to "Heidi Fleiss", not sure if its the same girl ?? So you are "Real Lucky she turned you down" Now you really need that glass of wine. Bob G.
David Ruvalcaba
San Francisco, CA —  February 14, 2007 7:22pm ET
James,I'm in the same boat as Paul from TX. . . would love to buck the holiday, but my girlfriend would kill me. . . I think it's become some sort of contest at her work to see who gets the biggest bouquet of flowers on these holidays. . . maybe I need to convey a meeting with the guys dating these women and we can all save ourselves a few bucks next time. :)
 —  February 14, 2007 7:33pm ET
LOL on all accounts! Missed my flight to England thanks to the weather...off in search of wine bars...
Guest Guest
New York —  February 14, 2007 8:17pm ET
James, thats a good one.......have a save trip.
Michael Culley
February 15, 2007 9:41am ET
James, as you know, holidays are much less commercialized here in Italy but in the States it's a big moneymaker for the restaurants. They just hate it when it falls on a Friday or Saturday night! Hurry back, it's starting to feel like Spring...the almond blossoms and mimmosas are flowering.
Steve Coyle
Chappaqua, NY —  February 15, 2007 3:33pm ET
James,What New York wine bar(s) do you love?Thanks!Steve Coyle
John Jorgenson
Seattle, —  February 24, 2007 3:24pm ET
As you'd say in your other home: bravissimo!!!