harvey steiman at large

Toasting a New Era

Photo by: David Yellen

Posted: Jan 18, 2009 9:05pm ET

Rivers of sparkling wine will flow in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday at the receptions following Barack Obama’s inauguration as president. What will you be drinking?

Whether you voted for him or not, it will be a historic moment for our country, certainly worthy of a toast. For those on the East Coast, Obama will take the oath of office a few minutes past noon, perfect timing for a pre-lunch glass of fizz.

Out here on the West Coast, at just past nine in the morning, I will probably lift my freshly brewed caffè latte. The coffee will help me focus better on the inaugural address. The toast will probably be a English muffin.

Or we can wait until after the ceremonies and settle in for brunch with a mimosa or a Ramos fizz, my favorite American brunch libation. (It was invented in New Orleans.)

Most of us, I wager, will save the wine element of any celebration for later in the day. I’m sure I’ll be ready to pour something good to make lunch special.

I’m open to ideas. Who has wine plans, and what are they?

* Please keep the discussion focused on wine and not on political commentary.

John Shuey
Carrollton, TX —  January 19, 2009 11:01am ET
As a Libertarian, I find little to celebrate come tomorrow.Then again, there has been little to celebrate politically for quite some time. (I'm thinking like, maybe, since around 1789 to 1791 or so.) Even thinking about the subject makes my head hurt. I guess I'll have a beer.
Lance Ely
Costa Mesa —  January 19, 2009 12:58pm ET
I'm drinking lots of poison! At least something strong enough to knock me out for 4 years of dreadful socialism.
Laura L Marquez
Scottsdale, AZ —  January 19, 2009 1:00pm ET
As for myself, tomorrow can't come soon enough. I've been holding back a vertical of Karen Culler's La Palette for some years now. I think tomorrow night would be an excellent time to have friends over, pull the corks and celebrate the opportunity to participate in the process of change in this wonderful country of ours.
David Tietz
Columbus, OH —  January 19, 2009 2:00pm ET
Tomorrow afternoon we have a final exam on chemotherapy drugs (my fiancee and I are both in pharmacy school) so after the inauguration/exam are over with, we plan on celebrating both by going out to dinner then having some bubbly-- from the Finger Lakes (which are close to her hometown of Rochester, NY).
Dennis D Bishop
Shelby Twp., MI, USA —  January 19, 2009 3:55pm ET
I'm trying to find a nice Illinois Pinot - any ideas?
Stephanie A Hubbell
winter —  January 19, 2009 6:11pm ET
Vision Cellars!
Andrew Bernardo
Halifax, Nova Scotia —  January 19, 2009 6:28pm ET
"Please keep the discussion focused on wine and not on political commentary." First two comments, political. I love it.

My friends and I have opted to share a couple bottles of Washington State red Tuesday night while enjoying some mid-Western beef that we were able to purchase here in Canada.

There have been a great number of Presidents since 1776 that have been wine aficionados, why not remember them all over a glass?
Jamie Sherman
Sacramento —  January 19, 2009 7:07pm ET
Maybe a nice Schrader (even though he's probably a republican).
John Jorgenson
Seattle, —  January 19, 2009 8:28pm ET
Coffee sounds good! I wish I were in Hawaii so we could watch the sunrise at the same time we watch the inauguration. It would seem appropriate if we do have hope for change. As far as wine goes, given the current state of the economy, why not Costco's Kirkland Champagne? For me? I think I will uncork a Petit Verdot. Doesn't it mean a little green?
James Rego
Redding, Ca., Shasta County —  January 19, 2009 10:11pm ET
hey I'm with Andrew; Lets savor the day and look forward to tomorrow !
Steven M Ruths M D
Santa Barbara, CA —  January 19, 2009 11:32pm ET
I plan on opening some fortified wine (think MD 20/20, not vintage Port) or some wine infected with heavy loads of TCA or Brett/Dekkera to "celebrate". I hope to not acheieve altertness when the rest of the country has (hopefully in 4 years).
Dave Reuther
Deerfield, Illinois —  January 20, 2009 12:37am ET
The Chicago Tribune reports that for the Inaugural Luncheon Duckhorn 2007 sauvignon blanc will be served with the first course, seafood stew. For the second course Goldeneye 2005 pinot noir will be matched with a brace of American birds ( pheasant and duck) with sour cherry chutney and molasses sweet potatoes. Korbel Natural Special Inaugural Cuvee sparkling wine will be paired with the third course apple cinnamon sponge cake and sweet cream glace. I believe the menu is based on some of Lincoln's favorite foods. I have not decided on my inaugural menu yet, but I will have an American wine.
Andrew J Walter
Sacramento,CA —  January 20, 2009 1:58pm ET
Well, I know Harvey said no politics, but a few of the comments above I find most irritating. First, I too am a libertarian and found little to celebrate amongst our potential presidental candidates. That being said, the last 8 years of government in this country -- clearly dominated by the "conservative" political movement -- has, thru a series of actions and inactions, lead us to an expensive and unwin-able war and to an unprecedented infusion of taxpayer money into the financial and manufacturing sectors of our economy (which, BTW, is communisim -- e.g. government control of the means of production). If this is what "conservatism" is...I'll take socialism. No, onto wine -- I will be drinking a Garys Vineyard Pinot with porcini encrusted chicken breast and a trio of 3 organic pear salad. The pinot is from Truckee River winery....this is a really "cool" operation where a botique quantity of these pinot grapes are shipped up to 6000ft in the Sierras and then cold soaked and cool fermented for 4+ weeks. The 2005 is absolutely stupendous. For people who love beautifully extracted pinots...you have to check this place out (I am thankful the snow was terrible this weekend, o/w I never would have found the winery)
Harvey Steiman
San Francisco, CA —  January 20, 2009 4:20pm ET
Thanks to those who kept their comments on topic. The reason I would have preferred no politics is that inauguration day is as much a celebration of our strong democracy as it is to honor a new president. When that new president represents such a huge historical first, I feel sorry for those who are so wrapped up in personal likes and dislikes that they miss the majesty of a very special moment.
Andrew J Walter
Sacramento,CA —  January 20, 2009 6:29pm ET
Sorry Harvey...you are right. It was a great speech, thats for sure, regardless of your political leaning.
Eugene Kim
Houston, TX —  January 20, 2009 8:50pm ET
Well said Harvey, and this coming from a Republican. Some people are missing the big picture.
Victor Perez
Utuado PR —  January 21, 2009 9:27am ET
Well I think that Obamas speech was exactly what the world needs, and is our responsibility to create a meritage of efforts from all the people to work on that direction, so I opened a 1997 Ch. St Jean Cinq Cepages.