Last night, my merry band of BYOB-loving wine geeks got together for our pseudo-monthly wine night, this time at Nice Matin. When we planned it, we realized it fell on Sept. 11, and we had a collective pause before agreeing to proceed, despite the anniversary.
It turned out to be a great idea. The restaurant was full, loud and boisterous. There were two other large parties there as well, and like us, they had a lot of wine on the table. I paused at one point yesterday to think about the events of five years ago. But I found much more solace later that evening in celebrating life, as did many others it seemed.
A few of us hung on until after midnight, and we couldn’t stop laughing at the fact that we used our empty magnum bottle of Cuvée Constance as a doorstop to let some of the cool night air into the restaurant. It was a hedonistic night, and I’m glad I did it.
And for the record, the wines were:
• Gosset Brut Rosé Champagne Grand Rosé
• Bernard Morey Chassagne-Montrachet Vide Bourse 2003
• St. Innocent Pinot Noir Willamette Valley Seven Springs Vineyard 2004
• Beaux Frères Pinot Noir Yamhill County The Beaux Frères Vineyard 1999
• Albert Mann Gewürztraminer Alsace Grand Cru Steingrubler 1998
• Argiano Toscana Suolo 2000
• R. Lopez de Heredia Viña Tondonia Rioja Viña Tondonia Gran Reserva 1970
• Château Pichon-Longueville-Baron Pauillac 1993
• Château Gruaud-Larose St.-Julien 1990
• Viña Almaviva Puente Alto 2003
• S.A. Huët Vouvray Cuvée Constance 1995 (magnum)
• Osborne Tawny Port 20 Year Old
• Bodegas Olivares Monastrell Jumilla Dulce 2000