stirring the lees with james molesworth

Date Night Role Reversal

Photo by: David Yellen

Posted: Nov 15, 2006 4:53pm ET

Every Thursday is my "date night." Nancy and I keep the nanny late, and we go out just by ourselves, no kids.

More often than not, it's dinner and a movie. Since our cinematic tastes are rather different, we used to alternate choices as a compromise. But as we switched back and forth between our picks, we got more polarized than the Democrats and Repulicans. One week I picked Seven with Brad Pitt, and so she responded the following week by taking me to Bed of Roses with Christian Slater and Mary Stuart Masterson. That was the end of the alternating choices.

Now we try to find common ground when picking a movie—and it's not easy. And if we do actually settle on a common choice, half the time it's not showing at the time we need. Argh!

Anyway, we're debating tomorrow night's choice. I'm still in the romantic, southern France mode after my recent trip to the Rhône, and so I offered the choice of the new Russell Crowe-in-the-vineyards chick-flick, A Good Year. Nancy came back at me with Borat. Talk about role reversal.

Well, which one have you seen, and which one should we see? The wine movie, or the political slapstick?

David Ruvalcaba
San Francisco, CA —  November 15, 2006 5:49pm ET
James, go see Borat. I saw the wine movie and was terribly disappointed. While the setting (the French countryside) was great to see on the big screen, the story was slow, predictable and although billed as a romantic comedy, there wasn't much of either. So thank your wife for not forcing you to see a chick flick and go see Borat! :)
Pat Bruno
Denver —  November 15, 2006 6:26pm ET
Isn't Borat one of the seven signs? Please don't feed any money to that idiot.
Peter Czyryca
November 15, 2006 7:01pm ET
Borat all the way. Great success, high five!
Glenn S Lucash
November 15, 2006 10:22pm ET
Go see The Queen....the history is fascinating and you get to see that the real evil one in the family is Prince Phillip.
Mike Fringo
NYC —  November 15, 2006 10:56pm ET
I say skip both. Chick flicks give me agida, and Sacha Cohen got a knucle sandwich here in New York for pulling his shtick on a random person.
Zarmair Keshishian
November 16, 2006 5:31am ET
See Borat, make the wife happy..;-)
Stuart Bander
Chicago, Il —  November 16, 2006 8:06am ET
James, I know that you're very passionate about wine but quite honestly its about time that you had the chance to turn your brain off and watch a movie that requires very little thought or effort. Take a break!!
Robert Johnston
Washington DC —  November 16, 2006 8:23am ET
Go with you wife to Borat and pick up a copy of the book the movie A Good Year was based on and read it instead. (A Year In Provance)
Peter Hempstead
November 16, 2006 9:43am ET
If the movie is anything like the book, A Good Year is going to be a snore. Go with Borat. It's a romantic comedy too. Kinda. Well, not really. But is nice! Very nice, very nice!
Molly Choi
November 16, 2006 9:57am ET
Pity you can't just call a draw and see Tenacious D instead (next week's DN?).
Jeffrey Ghi
New York —  November 16, 2006 11:20am ET
Saved the money on a bottle of wine that you can get drunk on and rent "Dude where's my car" =)
Alan Vinci
springfield, n.j. —  November 16, 2006 11:58am ET
James, Drink a 1998 Chateau de beaucastel, followed by a 1998 le vieux donjon at dinner, and what ever movie you see will be fine... Trust me it works..Alan
Phil Roberts
Palatine, IL —  November 16, 2006 2:13pm ET
Casino Royale....
Jon C Martinez Dds
Overland —  November 16, 2006 2:35pm ET
James, I had the same dilemma last weekend. I thought I would share two of my passions in life with my girlfriend with this movie. A love of wine and an obsession with Provence. Unfortunately the movie misses the boat on many levels. Go see Borat and read "A Good Year" together.
Mark Mccullough
GA —  November 17, 2006 11:13am ET
James, totally off topic but the WOTY got me thinking: What happened to Numanthia? The 2002 Toro Termes was #3 a couple years ago. You had praised them as a hot producer and then not a peep on any of their wines in the two releases since. Did I miss a story here somewhere?
James Molesworth
November 17, 2006 2:12pm ET
Mark: Yes, the '02 Termes was killer juice, and was ranked high in the Top 100 that year thanks to its moderate price. But the '03 suffered a bit from the hot vintage and only rated 86 (though their other more expensive and smaller production cuv¿ did well)...

You have to score at least 90 to even be considered for the Top 100, and then that's 100 wines out of 3,000 or so...it's a tough list to crack...
Philip Mccarthy
November 18, 2006 5:05pm ET
James; Thought "Good Year" was OK, not great. Pretty scenery, yellow filtering and gorgeous actress as Crowes' love interest!! If you want a gut busting laugh - see - "Little Miss Sunshine", in particular the "dance" scene near the end will have you in tears!!! I agree with Mark, love Numanthia!!
Yaron Zakai Or
Israel —  November 20, 2006 6:48am ET
Borat!

We saw the film yesterday. This is the funniest comedy we saw in the last 10 years or so. It also shows the dark sides of America in a way you don't usually get to see in the movies. I don't believe a standard Hollywood wine movie will be able to get anywhere close to it.
That's a win-win-win situation: you make your wife happy and you get to see a funny movie, yet you can talk about all the smart nuances showing how racism and prejudice still exists.